Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Ames lettering guide

Just wondering if anyone knows where to get one of these locally. I used to have one but I lost it. Seems like sort of a hassle to deal with ordering plus S&H when they only cost a few dollars if that..

I don't really want to ask an art store to order one specially either.. In my experience that usually turns into a long drawn out complicated affair. Maybe there's some dusty old drafting supplies in some corner of the town that I'm overlooking..


Chris_Garrison said...

I didn't even know what that was until just now. Sounds kind of weird. I want to try it out.

Have you tried the yellow pages under drafting supplies or architectural supplies? Start emailing local architects, and maybe somebody will give you a clue.

By the time you do all that, you've probably spent more time than it will take you to order it online. Especially if the one place that carries them turns out to be in Remlap or something.

WeezeL365 said...

And that ends up costing you ten bucks in shipping. Yeesh.
I always wanted one, but eventually just went with a ruler and a rule of thumb. If you can't find one at an art supply store or maybe a drafting store or maybe even a hardware store where they might have some small drafting tools like that, always try places like craft stores like Michaels or something. They occasionally have the things we need.

fason is a dork. said...

people still hand-letter stuff?

i keed, i keed...

Tim Rocks said...

They actually work pretty well for hand lettering. Faster than just a T-square and ruler. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Kirk Creel said...

I bought on back in the day for a drafting course I had. I got that one from the college book store but I have seen them at either Michaels, Hobby lobby or Office Depot, can't remember which at the moment, but all of them have SOME drafting supplies. Is Alabama Art Supply still around? They would be a candidate for looking to.

The Ames lettering guide is definitely great for uniform hand lettering. They also make a cool eraser mask, a very thin piece of metal with various size holes and lines to help get just what you want off without messing up too much.

Good Luck!

Tim Rocks said...

I never thought of college bookstores, I'll have to try that. Most of those other stores I can't remember having seen them at although I haven't checked lately.

Although I've also been thinking lately that I could make a virtue out of unruled lettering.. somehow integrate the text more organically to the art.